These advisory committee isare meant to represent the ideas and perspectives of various constituents, including past, present, and future stakeholders. The committees’ purpose is to provide valuable input and insight moving forward. The committees will assist us in looking at all outcomes of the re-constructed IBC and IHLC and are expected to relay and represent the opinions of varying communities tied to the Institutes.
The Institute of Black Culture
- Elda Auxiliaire
- Kianna Brown
- Wallace Mazon
- Jordan Rhodes
The Institute of Hispanic-Latino Cultures
- Steven Baldizon
- Meriza Candia
- Gian Mattei Soto
- Carla Rodriguez
- Christopher Wilde
- Sebastian Wright
- Edward Zambrano
- Jose Miranda
Responsibilities of an Advisory Committee Member:
- The Advisory Committees will run until the project is complete. There will be times where the committee will meet frequently due to the design process.
- Your location (in Gainesville, out of Gainesville) does not restrict you from serving on the committee. You must be able to use technology (Skype, Google Hangout) to attend meeting if you can’t be there in person.
- You are responsible for representing your community to the best of your ability. It is important that committee members see beyond their own scope and individual perspective.
- You must keep in mind the needs of past, present and future stakeholders.
- You are charged with communicating accurate information to stakeholders and back to the committee to ensure transparency.
- You will work with architects and the rest of the design team as well as the core committee for the construction project.
- If you are a current student, you must be in good academic standing with the university and Student Conduct.
The advisory committees will be selected by Multicultural & Diversity Affairs full-time staff, Will Atkins, Gabe Lara, Diana Moreno, and PJ Jones. Our team sought to bring together a diverse group of students and alumni who represent and reflect the many communities and interests on our campus related to the Institutes. If you are not on a committee, there will still be opportunities for you to give valuable input through the design and planning process. Please follow MCDA on social media. We will be posting recaps from committee sessions. We will also be scheduling an online presentation from the architects, where you will be able to give feedback (date to be announced soon). Lastly, as furnishing and other details for the Institute are chosen, we will be seeking your ideas and opinions.